Tuesday, January 5, 2010

When in doubt, have a beer

Since arriving in Bratislava, I have been worried that I wouldn't give Slovakia it's proper due. It's cold and for the most part quite unattractive. No tourist website had much to recommend. Nevertheless, I decided to give it the good old wander to see what I could find.

After a nice, inexpensive lunch, I decided to head back to the hostel on another road. I saw a saw a nice local pub with no prices starting in a number higher than 1. I stopped for a beer, had a second (a local beer I can't remember the name of) and was joined by a friendly mustachioed Slovak and his son. We chatted a bit, I explained that I was in Slovakia for no reason in particular and they offered to drive me to the castle in order to get a good look at Bratislavan history.

There were a few beautiful sights and after wandering, getting lost and finally getting the bus back to the neighborhood of my hostel, I realized that I had never strayed more than a mile from my starting point. Not a huge city but at least I gave it a proper look. Now off to Vienna!

Love to all.

No comments: