Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A new favorite



Though Prague was gorgeous and I had a great time, I fell in love with Budapest instantly.

After a very long, very late night dancing throughout Prague, I made it to the bus station with an hour and a half to spare only to learn that one seat remained. By the time my information was processed, of course the seat was taken and I had to get back on Metro and head to the train station where I paid three times the price. In the end, I enjoyed the space and ability to walk around. However, the directions I wrote down were from the bus station so when my train arrived an hour late, I was in Budapest at 11:30pm with no idea where to go.

I took the first taxi of my travels only to learn that Goat Hostel was not well known. As the driver took me across the Danube, I got a great view of the Citadel, Parliament and other gorgeous buildings that I would visit the following day. I remembered the Metro stop from my directions and was dropped off with the plan of winging the rest. I walked back and forth along what seemed to be the correct street. Lugging my bags, I eventually wandered into a 4 star hotel and was given permission to use the free internet. Even with directions, I couldn't find the hostel. I was directed right back to where I had been walking and when I asked at a bar, I was told that I was one door away. There was absolutely no signage other than a bolded Goat Hostel written among a dozen residences on the address label. After it all, the hostel is very nice.

The next morning, I walked up Gellert hill, read about the rich history of Budapest and kept on walking. I visited the Parliament building, and kept going until my legs, exhausted from dancing, 6 hours on the train, wandering with my luggage and walking around Budapest were very ready for the thermal baths. I spent nearly two hours going from sauna to sauna, pool to pool before heading back for a great sleep.

I was greeted by two very cool Australian girls. After chatting for a bit, we went out for what turned out to be incredibly good Hungarian food. Today, the three of us ventured out with the goal of reaching Statue Park, a park full of Communist statues. We got to appropriate bus station, waited a while and were finally told that the transport workers were on strike and that we wouldn't be able to make it. Instead, we visited a gorgeous indoor market, ate more great Hungarian food, met more fun travelers, went out for more great Hungarian food and came back here.

We've just started a movie. Tomorrow, I fly to Amsterdam tomorrow and will meet Cheri two days later.

Love to all'

No comments: