Sunday, February 28, 2010

Under water to on a train

My five days on Perhentian Island were much needed and very much enjoyed. After cranking through the scuba course, I took a day to walk to to a gorgeous beach. Having seen the beach from one of my dives, I thought that the walk would be easy. Over an hour of climbing rocks in my sandals in the mid-day sun proved otherwise but left me on a white sand beach all on my own. Soaked in sweat, I read in the shade and enjoyed the solitude and rest, taking occasional dips in the clear blue water.

Too tired to take the rock route back, I walked through the jungle, dodging massive spiders but making much better time with a nice cover of shade. On my last day on the Perhentians, I took a snorkeling trip. The first stop had us swimming with Black Tipped Reef Sharks. Our second stop had us swimming among thousands of brightly colored fish. Our guide would give us a small nibble of bread and in minutes it would be ripped apart by out tiny swimming companions. Our third stop was all about sea turtles. It wasn't quite the same as the others however. The water wasn't as clear and the turtles were FAST. The boat would circle around until a turtle was spotted and tourists from three tour boats would jump in and give chase. One chase was enough for me and I stayed in the boat to keep my pinched feet out of my too tight fins. Stop four brought us to a light house. We took turns jumping 35 feet from the top into the ripping current below. The spot was beautiful but it took serious energy just to swim in place. One jump from the lighthouse pulled my bauxite bracelet from my wrist and sent it to the coral below. The Arabian Sea stole my ring and the South China Sea has my bracelet. The experience is worth the trade but it's still a bummer.

A boat to a bus to another bus to a 22 hour train to a took took brought me to the super fancy hotel at which I'm writing this entry. A hung out for a few hours before Megan arrived. We've had a great time wandering and enjoying an early celebration of her birthday. We are sorting out plans for the rest of the day and the days to come. We will meet Cheri and her sister tomorrow and then go to bathe tigers and ride elephants shortly thereafter. Sharks, sea turtles, tigers and elephants are helping me stay pre-occupied as my business school dates approach. One and two weeks from response deadlines from Duke and Michigan respectively. Eek!!

Love to all.

No comments: