Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Changing gears

I left India with a wide variety of new experiences under my belt. I loved the country (many travelers either love it or hate it) but was ready for the next leg.

Traveling solo again, I flew to Singapore and met two Ghana RPCVs from a few years before my own service. Cheri met the couple in December and they offered a place to stay. I didn't know what to expect but met thepair and their Siberian huskie at a mall on the very efficient MRT line. They brought me to their house and right up to the 24th floor. The elevator opened to a beautiful house, covered by a nice ex-pat work package. It was a very nice place to relax (especially in an expensive city).

I spent two days reading, hanging out by the pool and relaxing. I did laundry in a machine (shrunk some trousers in the dryer) and the three of us went to a Chinese New Year parade. I learned the different routes around their neighborhood. We seldom went outside, walking in air conditioned malls and hospitals instead of enduring the heat and humidity. Though strict, and likely because it's strict, Singapore seems to be a nice place to live. The city is clean and safe. There are signs for $500 fines for drinking water on the subway or $1000 for riding your bicycle where you shouldn't. I learned that when getting caned, you can choose the long cane, getting bigger scars but less immediate pain or the short cane, getting smaller scars but far greater pain. I am happy that I don't have to choose.

From Singapore, I took the MRT to a bus, across the Malaysian border to an overnight train. The train put Indian trains to shame, I had a small mattress, a pillow, a sheet and a curtain to close out the light. I slept great!! I woke up, got a taxi, got on a speedboat and came to paradise.

Feeling antisocial, I threw in my ipod while on the speedboat. The combination of warm air, good music, high speed and surrounding smiles made me feel really great. I had a smile on my face the whole time.

On Perhentian Island in the South China Sea, I have seen 6 foot lizards, massive spiders and beautiful surrounds. I'm on my third day of scuba certification today. I spent a total of ninety minutes under water yesterday, learning what to do when I lose my regulator, when I run out of air, when I lose my mask etc. It's really great and I'm looking forward to the day. I will meet Megan in Bangkok on Feb. 28. Until then, I'm chillin here.

Love to all.

No comments: