Thursday, May 28, 2009

Travel time

While packing my things for an upcoming West African adventure, I thought that I'd pack up some of the things that I no longer need in Ghana. Since I'm heading back the the USA shortly after I return from tro'ing through the third world, I wanted to start clearing out those things that I won't want to travel with later.

This process was surprisingly emotional!! I won't be leaving for around six months but the process of packing bags and emptying my house really started getting to me. This isn't like leaving for college or even moving to Ghana for two years. When I leave here, I can guarantee that I'll never see or hear from many of my closest friends and neighbors. I definitely hope to come back to Ghana when I can but there's no telling what can happen in the time it takes for that hope to become a possibility. We'll see how it goes when the time comes.

As for now, Cheri and I have begun what will be a five country (six if Ghana counts) West African tour. The adventures began early when our scheduling continued to be delayed. Making a schedule while working in development is asking for trouble. We were going to leave in December but we were put on standfast during the election. We pushed the trip back to March but work got in the way. We finally purchased our five country Visa the week of my GMAT but between that time and now, we have each had projects funded, started and completed. When quality work can actually be completed, everything else must take a back seat.

Unfortunately, our Visas were single entry and lasted only 2 months. They expire only four days into our current itinerary. After some haggling and borderline begging, we were able to extend our Visas but not before paying half the original price.

We each rushed to get some last minute work done. We got proposals submitted so our time away can work for us and the waiting game won't seem quite so bad. We got to the tro station and were quickly ushered to a Kumasi tro by a very eager man. Cheri and I know to be wary of anyone who openly offers to help but I thought we could handle the situation.

We were rushed to a nearly full tro and assured that it was full and leaving ASAP. Of course it wasn't. Accustomed to waiting, we paid for our seats and sat. Twenty minutes later, the car was about full and the driver had a hard time starting the engine. Angry about being dooped and feeling impatient, I suggested that we bail on this car and take a "fast car." A fast car has air conditioning and doesn't make many stops along the way. We demanded our money back but naturally did not get our way immediately. Those seated in the car became insistant that we stay. The assured us that we would leave immediately. Of course they just didn't want us to cause further delay.

The mate and driver of the tro refused to give us money for our tickets since they were not the issuers of said ticket. We were told to give the ticket back so that they could sell it to the next passengers and get our money back. No money and no ticket in hand? No thanks!!! We made a bit of a scene but finally got our money back. We got into a nice air conditioned van, away from the tro full of hate that we had just created. If we're about to travel through some of the poorest countries in the world via public transport, we might as well get through familiar territory in comfort.

We're now in Kumasi, completing some last minute work in order to ensure max relaxation during our vacation. I promise to take pictures and to figure out why my camera won't upload them.

Love to all.
Also, thank you to Cheri's mom Jill for a wonderful visit, exceptional meals and great conversation.

Ira

No comments: