Saturday, May 2, 2009

Moringa Status

This topic will deserve many more posts as the months roll along but for now I'll only give a brief update.

Those same trees that are pictured in previous posts are now bushy and almost out of control. I harvested my first batch of leaves this past week and I'm not sure how I'll be able to stay on top of everything. I only have one room for leaf drying and that room is the only one in my home that has any serious air flow. I spent the other day laying on a mat beneath my drying moringa leaves. I love the smell but as the leaves dry, small pieces of debris fall through the net onto my sweaty self.

The problem of having too much Moringa to harvest is a good one to have but I'm still not too sure what I'll do. For this first harvest, I simply trimmed the tallest and bushiest trees. There wasn't much of a noticeable difference until I tried to spread the leaves across my makeshift drying net. I'll make it work. One of my closest neighbors now has 6 months off before starting High School so maybe I can work out a wholesale price for leaf powder and he can use any profits towards his education. That's my first thought. It seems as though I'll have plenty of time during which to think of how to distribute the incoming product.

All for now.
Love to all,

Ira

No comments: