Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A small small police chase

On my way to Bormase from Accra, I was marveling at my luck regarding travel. I had just spent a few days getting work done on the office computers and I was tired and not looking forward to waiting around for tros. At each stop, I got one of the last remaining seats in the car that I needed and I was making great time.

I got to Odumase and saw that no car was there. I thought that my luck had run out when the first mate of the Sekesua tro saw me and had me join the last remaining seat. Sandwiched between to healthily fed Ghanaian women, I cranked up a Radiolab podcast on my ipod and was enjoying the ride.

After about five minutes, I head honking from a car behind ours and a great amount of commotion. Normally, any approaching car will honk as a way of notifying anyone near by. A driver hearing the honk will let the approaching car know if it is safe to pass or if a car is approaching in the opposite direction. This time, our driver sped up. I took out my one working headphone and could only pick up a few of the manically blabbered Krobo words that came from every direction.

One word that was unmistakable and ubiquitous in the chatter was "polisi." Then, while frequently looking out his window, the driver pulled off the main road and onto a small bush road going in the opposite direction. "Polisi" was quickly replaces with "Dasi!!," "Mini sane?" and "I kpa mo pee, dasi!!." Stop, Why?, I beg you to Stop!! came from all seats in the car as we sped over exposed roots and potholes. The driver kept looking behind him and then cut across compound courtyards and through bush paths before slowly pulling around a small house and sidling up close to one wall.

The clamor was quickly replaced with hushing and then silence. What the hell was going on?!?!?! The driver quickly got out of the car and disappeared. We sat in silence for several minutes before a police jeep pulled across the space in front of us and stopped next to our tro.

Yelling ensued and inquiries were made in regards to the location of the driver. Amused, the population of the community spent more time asking me where I was from and how I liked Ghana. Children waved and laughed while hollering "Blefono" whenever I was within earshot. I got great reactions when I spoke the most basic Krobo.

Within fifteen minutes, the driver had returned and we were on our way. I gathered that the driver had tried to duck the standard one Ghana Cedi bribe. Instead, I think that he and the mate paid a much heftier bribe and were allowed to move on.

In the end, I made great time on my journey home and I got to experience my first police chase. I love this place!!

Love to all,
Ira

No comments: