Thursday, August 21, 2008

Personal improvement plan

When a Peace Corps Volunteer isn't performing as he/she should be, he/she is PIPed. The individual will be put on a Personal Improvement Plan during which they must make weekly reports to the Country Director and discuss goals upon which they'll base future success.

I've decided to put PIP myself. I feel as though I'm doing well enough as a volunteer (language still needs work) but there are a number of things that I planned to do when I came to Ghana and time is running out. As more tenured volunteers have their Close of Service, they often have items that they no longer need. In the past two months, I've "inherited," a guitar and a detailed yoga book. I also received several guitar manuals and I've since purchased a yoga mat. Can you believe that they started selling yoga mats at the market? They're not flying off the shelves by any means but it works for me.

Since my dad left, I've been weeding the Moringa field, working with bead makers, reading and personally improving my person. I can now play "Skip to my Lou," with the best of them and the hamstring tightness that I earn while weeding is methodically worked out on the new yoga mat.

I made the mistake of weeding the Moringa field from front to back. Each time I left for vacation or became busy with a new project, I'd have to start again where I left off. This time, I started from the farthest corner and it's like I'm looking for seedlings in the wall at Wrigley Field. The vines are out of control!!

My hands are neither clean nor wound free at any time but a good three hour weeding session with my ipod makes for a great afternoon. This daily session clears my mind and keeps my projects in order.

The PIP I'm on doesn't include current projects and "inherited," goods but I also bought a 6 ft. length of metal pipe (picture the pole supporting your nearest street sign) and bought a bag of cement. Tomorrow, Patrick and I are making a weight set. I will be able to weed the Moringa field, play guitar, read, lift weights, cook dinner and sleep on my nice thick mattress.

Without knowing it, I've been depriving myself of a number of available amenities. Joining Peace Corps gave me the idea that I'd be living without luxury for two plus years but after less than one year, luxury has taken a new meaning.

All around, things are good. There's more to say but I'll save it for next week in case my PIP takes up all my time.

Love to all
Ira

No comments: