Thursday, August 14, 2008

Back to the books

With the travel agenda of the past three weeks, proper reading time has been hard to come by. Now that I'm settled in at site and can still finagle at least four hours of reading out of even the most jam packed work day, I'm back in the groove. This week I finally managed to finish "A Prayer for Owen Meany," and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," before starting on "Slaughterhouse Five."

Aside from checking on the Moringa farm (much of it looks great while other areas look as though I'm looking to harvest weeds) and meeting with bead makers, things in Bormase have been a bit slow.

Two nights ago, however, the Nartey home was given a little scare. As I neared my second REM cycle at around 10pm, I woke to hear somebody screaming "Mommy...Ira...Mommy...Ira." Groggily, I pulled myself out of bed and met Dorothy as she came from her room. Eva, Maku and Augustina share a room and the three of them had heard somebody banging on their door only minutes earlier. In the few steps between my bed and outside, I had pictured everything from a ten foot black mamba to a million rushing ants. When it turned out that a person had come to the house, Dorothy was off. She searched the house and went to the roadside where she met two boys. The boys immediately said "It wasn't us, we heard the girls screaming."

I didn't understand much else as I was half asleep and the remaining conversation was in Krobo and at very high speed. Over the past few days, Dorothy has contacted all the necessary people and believes that she met the culprits on the road. It is pretty clear that the didn't mean any harm but with the fear that Dorothy has since put in them, I'd be surprised to be awakened in a similar fashion any time soon.

Love to all
Ira

No comments: