Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Site Visit

Get ready for a whole new list of anxieties and concerns. For the past 4 days, we've all been staying at our site. We now know where and with whom we'll be living for the next 2 years. Just before site visit, we had a 3 day workshop with our supervisors and counterparts. Since I had already met mine, I had a very interesting vantage point during this time. I could see how each PCT was dealing with his/her particular worries. Some found out that they'll be learning a language different from what they've been taught while others learned that they'll be living in what would be American mansions. One trainee is having a latrine built specifically for her. The addition of this latrine will be the second in a village of over 2,000 people. Nurses use one latrine, this volunteer will use the other while the 2,000 residents use the road or bush as a toilet.

This week will let us all know what to expect. I'm getting used to going to bed at 6 or 7 o'clock since there is no electricity. Reading by candlelight with rain pounding on my zinc roof is something that I can definitely get used to.

A few things to look forward to:

I announced my food sharing idea to the 130 or so people at the counterpart workshop. It felt like my voice was shaking and my thoughts were going wild but my friends say that I was perfectly coherent. Step one is complete but we'll see how much traction is made moving forward. I'm thinking of getting some official looking certificates made and having churches make collections. It seems that in Ghana, it's hard to get people to donate goods but when you add religion and can give something in return, the possibility seems to be much greater.

An order has been placed for the first 500 Moringa seeds so when I get to site, I can nurse the first 500 trees while we're in the dry season. 3 months of growth will be a great head start for the "Johnny Moringaseed," project.

Honey harvests start in December so I'll also be able to take part in the process. I'm very excited about this idea!! My supervisor hopes that the two of us will be able to write an instructional book about beekeeping in collaboration with citrus farming. I don't know more than that but I'm all for it.

Baby weigh ins and polio vaccines also start in December. This will be a great way to meet everyone in the community.

I spent today in Koforidua market. I'm so happy to have been placed in the Eastern region. The market here is great, the biggest bead market in West Africa is held every Thursday!!!

More to come. Love to all!!

4 comments:

JustMe said...

Ooooohhhhh! Beads! I can't wait to come see. Love you love you,

M

Hands Full said...

haha I knew Martha would like the bead part. I love the image of you reading by candlelight with rain on the zinc roof. Beautiful. Good job on presenting your food sharing idea!

Frances Hackett said...

Hi, Dear Ira: The variety of your experiences is staggering, and I begin to feel very sweaty and exhausted in empathy with your vivid descriptions. So proud of you, and so fascinated with your odyssey!
Speaking of your food-sharing idea
(excellent!) are there any foods we can send you from here that you might particularly crave? Lots of love, Granfran

talkinblues said...

Sounds like a blast! Thanks for keeping the blog up!