Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Brief Update

I'm an official Peace Corps Volunteer. We had our swearing in ceremony yesterday. All around I'd say that it went well. As far as my direct connection is concerned, I played African drums during part of the ceremony and took part in a skit in Dangme in front of Peace Corps officials, host families and volunteers.

It's crazy to think that we're through training and the 2 year countdown is starting.

To get an idea of how quickly one can acclamate to a new environment, please consider the following situation:

I'm sitting in my compound listening to the Ghana vs. Togo soccer game. The radio commentator is speaking Twi. I couldn't understand anything but got a good idea of what was going on by listening to the intonation pattern.

When a goal was scored and people around me started to react, I took a moment to actually look around.

Ten feet in front of me, an eight year old girl was sitting in a metal bucket, taking a bath. Her 10 year old brother was running around naked while waiting for his turn in the bucket. 15 feet to my left, some mystery woman (she appeared randomly in the compound while I was away for a few days)was nursing her 4 month old baby. Across the compound, the 75 year old grandmother sat shucking corn with while wearing only a piece of cloth around her waist. Three young men sit eating Fufu on the other side of the compound. Since I've lived in Ghana, I've not been able to communicate with them and I'm not quite sure how they're connected.

Not only is this situation normal, it seems that I'm writing a boring entry since it's so common to me now.

Weird. I'll update soon.

Love you all!

No comments: