Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Another brief note

I forgot to mention a strange situation that I enjoyed this morning. While still funny, this is more gross than anything. My puppy Kua (it means Monkey in Dangme)is 2 months old and very cute. She's been living with my homestay family since I've been there and yesterday, I finally took her with me.

This morning, while preparing to move from the Dery Hotel following swearing in; I was woken up by somebody knocking on the door and saying "Your dog is covered in shit!!"

I left the room to find the tiny pup shivering while some of my fellow volunteers held her still and doused her in sachet water (I think I've explained that we drink water from .5 liter bags). I proceeded to take the dog to the shower, hold her in my arms while washing human feces from her fur. I'm not sure how it happened but it seems that she must have fallen in one of the many open drainage ditches in the area.

While bathing Kua, I noticed a few ticks in her ears so after the shower, I pulled no less than 10 ticks (some as large as watermelon seeds) from her ears.

Gross but not really a big deal while living in Africa.

No comments: