Monday, September 28, 2009

Hands off development

With my national VAC meeting this week and plenty of essay work to do, I've left the school and bead projects behind me. After consecutive days starting with 6am meetings and extensive organization, I've left 90 2x6 boards, 80 2x4 boards and money for ten bags of cement in Bormase.

When I return next Monday, the bulk of the frame should be completed. I sure hope it really does get complete while I'm away.

In the meantime, I'll be re-working my essays and discussing the state of Peace Corps Ghana.

I guess the whole goal of Peace Corps is to complete sustainable projects so this will be a good test.

A nice anecdote from my busy few days at site: During our second trip for wood, the driver, Patrick, a few laborors and I took a detour to visit a local waterfall. I absolutely loved the detour and the fact that none of the Ghanaians with which I went had ever seen the falls. Just before leaving, I was ushered over to a small area behind the waterfall and told that it was the meeting place of dwarves. I have heard stories from other volunteers about the invisible dwarves but I had never had the joy of hearing a first hand account.

Too much essay writing has sapped my blog writing reserves.

Love to all,

No comments: