Thursday, September 10, 2009

All at once

When I was getting advice about readjusting to American culture, I didn't think that I'd be doing so much of it while still in Ghana.

Last Friday, I met with chiefs and elders to discuss the proper approach for the school project. I realize that while I kept the prospective project secret from the village (in case it didn't come through in time) I may have also kept it out of my blog entries.

The 52 year old Bormase Roman Catholic Primary School still consists of it's original cement block building. The building is partitioned into two classrooms for Kindergarten through P6. Over 100 students learn either in this building or under trees or makeshift thatch structures. This recent proposal covers the cost of the construction of three additional classrooms. On Monday, Patrick and I came to Koforidua to purchase 30 bags of cement and 15 nineteen foot iron rods. I shelled out almost 1,000 cedis in one day and felt odd fitting the Obruni stereotype of having money and throwing it around building schools.

While Patrick and I were in Koforidua, 40 community members convened and worked throughout the day collecting sand to be used on cement block construction. Tuesday and Wednesday were for bock construction. Tomorrow, I'll shift gears and greet the Village Bicycle Project and the 101 bicycles that have been paid for by Bormase community members.

Most of next week will be spent in classes of 20, teaching basic maintenance to every new bike owner. The bead structure is still under construction and my first business school application is due in less than one month.

I ordered a transcript and had an official score reported to Columbia today. Talk about having a foot in two different worlds. I've been working on essays when not running around the village on errands.

I'm sending all remaining energy towards the implosion of the Rockies and the appearance of a Giants offense.
It's hectic now but SO worth it.

Will keep you all updated on the progress.

Love to all,
Ira

No comments: