Thursday, December 18, 2008

Inconvenient security

For several months now, some of my PC cohorts and I have been discussing the idea of attending Festival au Desert in Mali from January 8-10. The concert presents numerous toureg artists and last year received a cameo appearance from none other than Robert Plant. In the months leading up to the show, the website was updated and showed that the price had jumped dramatically from last year. A fellow volunteer and I traded e-mails with one of the concert organizers and offered our services as volunteers in exchange for a reduced rate. A former language trainer with Peace Corps Mali, the contact seemed very interested in helping but told us that the decision would have to wait.

With the standfast situation surrounding the upcoming run-off election, I was resigned to the fact that I wouldn't be able to attend the concert without incredibly strenuous travel involved. The standfast ends on Jan 2nd and I would have to travel great distances (the full distance would only take one long day of driving with American cars and roads) for several days straight if I hoped to make it to Timbuctou by January 7th. Either way, if the news came that we could attend for free, I was ready to give it a shot. Today, as I sat down to my e-mail, I saw that I'd received e-mails from the Peace Corps Safety and Security Officer as well as from the concert organizer. We were approved to receive free admission in exchange for our work but at the same time, we were forbidden from traveling to Northern Mali because of recent kidnappings and other safety concerns. Again, though I'm happy that my safety is being taken into account, it can put a serious damper on planning ahead.

On another note, I'd like to share some of todays mishaps with you. The longer I'm in Ghana, the less I notice the strange things that used to irk, frighten or disgust me. To help keep irksome, frightening or disgusting situations from occurring more often, I seldom look in a mirror. After eating breakfast, packing my bags, washing up and putting on sunscreen for my day in Koforidua, I looked through the mess that is my desk in order to find my phone. While searching through the pile of clothes and papers, I came across my small mirror and noticed that I had a very solid sunscreen uni-brow going on. I wonder how often I walk around with food in my teeth or on my face. Ignorance is bliss in that regard.

When it came to lunchtime, I decided to mix things up a bit and try share my business with an entrepreneurial woman who has been selling what appear to be egg salad sandwiches on the roadside. For 70 pesewas, I got macaroni salad and baked beans between to fat pieces of bread (in Ghana, ketchup, baked beans and mayonnaise are very welcome condiments). I bit into the sandwich and wasn't as pleased as I expected but thought I'd stick with it. As I continued to eat and wonder what was wrong with my food, I looked between the fluffy pieces of bread and saw a solid chunk of fish meat with skin and scales attached. Very unappealing!! These situations are far from uncommon but are definitely worth sharing. One more thing; I've been patting myself on the back regarding my ability to adjust to the climate. Now that I've entered my second December at site, I realize that the change in season has helped more than anything. I once again break a sweat without moving. I soak through nearly every inch of my clothing after an hour of work on the farm. It's very hard to sleep at night because of the still, blanketing heat.

Yet another thing, while writing the blog, I took a sip from my Nalgene water bottle and got a pleasant surprise. I drank a bean that fell into the bottle during last night's dinner. That should be strange right? At this point, it's free fiber and protein!!!

Love to all
Ira

No comments: