Tuesday, March 25, 2008

How would you deal with...

...having children stand at your window all day repeating your name? What would you do if local NGO officials "chopped" or stole money that has been donated to help flood victims? How many animals would you have to hit while traveling before becoming desensitized?

Over the past 2 weeks, I've been lucky enough to run into several fellow volunteers. It has been several months since I've seen many of them and unfortunately, on two occasions, I was saying goodbye to members of the group. We've now had 10 of our 48 Omnibus group leave Ghana. One is serving in South Africa but the other nine have decided that Peace Corps Ghana is not for them. It's tough to see people leaving country 6 months after arriving with such great energy and enthusiasm. Volunteers deal with such strange emotions and situations on a daily basis that it becomes hard to recognize what's "normal" and what's odd. In Service Training starts today so I'll get some good stories from my fellow Environment volunteers and truly hope that everyone is managing alright.

I still love it hear but it's hard to see people so drained so quickly.

I'll have other stories soon. Great experiences and conversations have been strewn in amongst the sad stories but I'll save those for next time.

Love to all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Ira! Just wanted to pop in and say hello.. Looks like you have met another Lauren over there :)

I am proud of you for appreciating the little things abroad and for explaining it so well to us! I am glad you are getting involved with so much, keep up the good work and fighting spirit!