Thursday, March 13, 2008

Green again


It's amazing what a few days of rain will do. After nearly 3 months of hot, dusty days, Bormase is finally getting rain. The sky is clearer, the trees are greener and the air is much cleaner. When living in the bush, it's amazing to see the change that can be made by only a few days of rain. Trees were covered in dust and thirsty for any water. Now, the dust has been washed away and everything is brilliantly green and alive again.

When waking up on a cold morning in SF, a hot shower would sometimes be the highlight of what may have otherwise been just another day. A few days ago, I was taking my bucket bath outside with an incredible view above me. The sky was so clear that I could see more stars than you can imagine. While the sky was cloudless above me, I was also watching a violent electrical storm a few miles to my right. Much better than a warm shower!

Now that the rain has come, people around Bormase are rushing to clear land and get crops in the ground. I helped plant Cassave the other day. Cassava grows under ground like a potato but also has a tall thin stick of a tree above ground (you like the farm jargon I've picked up). What's amazing about Cassava is that we simply cut down Cassava trees, cut then into 8-10 inch sticks and stuck the sticks in the ground. Within a week they will germinate and in a year, each one will be ready for harvest. Amazing!!



This week, my new Moringa seeds are germinating at nearly 100% (the only two that haven't come up were those that I uncovered to check. Impatience!!). 2 acres are being cleared and the large scale Moringa nursery will be underway soon!!

No comments: