Thursday, December 6, 2007

Going it solo

Now that we've all sworn in as official Peace Corps Volunteers, we're on our own. I don't have electricity, running water or cell phone reception so I'll have to come to Koforidua to access any modern technology.

I finally arrived at site last Saturday. It's taking some getting used to it but I can see the potential for change. It's hard to differentiate needs from wants from feasible projects. As for now, I'll update what I'm planning.

I planted 100 Moringa seeds right after I got to site. Even if this is only a small percentage of what I'll plant over my time at site, it will give me something to do and will give a tangible marker of my time at site.

I collect eggs several times each day with my counterpart Stephen. While collecting eggs a few days ago, I actually saw an egg come out of a chicken. What a painful life!! Laying an egg every day seems like miserable work!!

Stephen took me to visit a local primary school. There are 100 students and 4 teachers. When I went to visit, 2 of the teachers were sitting out front. I'll have to figure out when/how often I will be able to teach there.

Yesterday, I sat with Dorothy (Stephen's mother) at her market stand. We were at the Sekesua market all day. It's weird to think that sitting at a market and greeting people is a very effective approach to my work. For now, the most important thing for me to do is to be seen. I must show that I'll be around and that I'm integrated in the community and understand what people need/want. Toward the end of the day, I sat and chatted with a guy named Ransford. He's and Stephen are friends and each of them recently finished Secondary School. Ransford received high enough scores to attend University but didn't do well enough in English or Biology to study medicine. I'm hoping to be able to help Stephen and Ransford study for their October exams.

I'll be going to Accra on Monday and will drop off bank account numbers. Once again, I'm in charge of information that is far too important. I collected bank account numbers for over 40 new volunteers and without that information, the Peace Corps can't pay any of us!! I'll also follow up with my APCD (Sammie D.) regarding the food sharing program. I'm hoping to have certificates printed and distributed by Christmas but that might be too soon.

A few notes of differences in life:

I hear Christmas songs on the radio all day!! I suppose it's the same in some parts of America but it's so strange to hear "dashing through the snow," when I'm walking along dust covered roads and dripping sweat.

"Free Range Chickens," will never be the same. In Ghana, to free range is to take a shit wherever you want. Many people squat on the side of the road whenever nature calls. Not surprisingly, people also allow chickens to roam the streets free. It's not uncommon for these chickens to eat what is left on the roadside by their owners. Free Range Chickens in Ghana are NO GOOD!!

The perception of money is SO different. I tried to explain earning potential and the cost of living in the United States. When a haircut costs the equivalent of 50 cents and an hour long taxi ride costs a dollar, explaining how earning 3,000 dollars per month is insufficient in many major cities isn't well understood.

Babies react to me in a completely new way. I like to think that I'm good with children and that they react well to me. In Ghana, the typical reaction is complete bewilderment. Before deciding whether I'm a nice person, babies and infants must decide "WHAT IS THAT?" It's amusing at this point and after a week at site, the twins are smiling and giving high fives instead of crying and running away. Success!!

Love you all!! Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I have a hard time recognizing differences until I receive specific questions. Please let me know if you have any.

1 comment:

Hands Full said...

Wow! I love getting to see everything through your eyes. And such nice writing.
Can you describe where you are living now that you are at site?