Thursday, December 13, 2007

10 minutes of internet left...

... so I'll be brief. I now have 10 Moringa sprouts. This plant is amazing. What was a tiny sprout on Monday is now a 6 inch plant with branches and over 20 leaves.

I spoke with the country director about setting up a site in the North and he's all for it. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to leave my site (we're not really supposed to) during the first 3 months but since it's related to data collection, it'll be alright.

I'll be meeting with the headmaster of the local Junior Secondary School tomorrow morning. I biked there yesterday, it's a 5K bike ride and half of it is uphill and full of potholes. I was drenched when I showed up and I expect to be that way each time I visit.

I'm going to a funeral on Saturday. I think I've been to 4 funerals in the States and this is already my second in Ghana. There are actually funeral seasons in Ghana. People like to celebrate the life of the deceased so it sometimes takes as long as a year to save up for the celebration. For a country that has a hard time getting by financially, I can't say that saving for a funeral is the best way to get ahead but what could be a better reason?

I've had a few meetings with the local poultry group. This group has been going for almost 4 years now. After an initial loan, members have had the opportunity to pay off the loan and receive a new shipment of "layers." My host family has almost 400 birds now while most other groups are still working to pay off the initial 40. The opportunity is there but the drive/strategy is lacking in most cases. I'll see if I can help at all with that.

A better idea of my living situation. I'm in the bush!! Have you seen "Blood Diamond?" If so, try to think of the end of the movie. The hills look like that. I'm not sure if that helps but it's the best I can do before I post photos. Most of the people I live with speak English quite well. My Krobo (the specific dialect of Dangme) is getting better but whenever I exhibit some knowledge, the person I'm speaking with rattles on and I pick up only a few words.

Out of time. Love you guys!! Thanks to whomever gave the Giants update. Aaron Rowand!! Go Warriors too!!

3 comments:

Hands Full said...

As always, I love every word. Keep it up!
Also: do you know if your family and village (?) get chickens from the Heifer Project? Or is it a different program? Just wondering..
Love you!

mom emerita said...

Great to hear about moringa. Ours are huge. It's important to get the varieties with horizontal branching. A good source of info and seeds is ECHO; they've got a website. Try echonet.org.

All the best from your friends at Village Farm, Belize

mom emerita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.