Friday, July 13, 2007

Incomprehensible

It's 72 degrees in San Francisco today. For those of you who aren't familiar with the City, 70's in mid July is by no means guaranteed. 72 feels warm to me, I honestly can't come close to mentally preparing to live in 120-130 degree heat. I apologize in advance for what may very well be boring blogging. I don't leave for a 2 months and until then, I hope to put my hopes, dreams, expectations and fears into words so I can gauge how far off (likely VERY) my predictions will be from the truth.

I'm doing my best to understand the Peace Corps process through reading other blogs. It seems that I'll spend 3 days in Philadelphia getting shots, meeting fellow volunteers and undertaking some initial training. A 24 hour travel day will take my to Accra (the capital of Ghana) where current volunteers greet the newbies. The first few days in Accra involve additional training, icebreakers and from what I understand; a large group of doe eyed and touristy new volunteers (I'll try to avoid excessive photography but I'm not sure I can avoid the doe eyes). Additional training, a vision quest and some time with a Ghanaian family will fill the final 3 months preceding my moving to what will be my home.

For now, I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can. Still going back and forth between sheer excitement, awe and fear as I look forward to what will undoubtedly be a life altering experience.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

figure its safer to leave my e-mail on your blog than mine. maybe you can delete the comment after you get it. But, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, I'm sure you have a lot, many of them have no answer though. kylarudnick@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

oh, got distracted fellow drunk pcv came in and distracted me. But, I'm also an environment volunteer. I live in the northern region. Gotta love the north!