Saturday, March 30, 2013

Overdue Blog Post


Clearly I’m failing at maintaining my blog. It’s been about a month and I can’t honestly say that I’ve been too busy to share an update. In fact I fill many of my days with movies and downloaded television as Shanghai is limiting to those without school, a job or income. With that said, I think it’s about time to share what I’ve been up to. And why not write as I sit in seat 76L from Shanghai to Beijing? In just over an hour I will meet my dad and my sister Martha!! Plus, I’ll take any excuse to focus my eyes away from the ghastly pollution to which I’m currently contributing.

For now, I’ll do my best to catch you up on some adventures.

Hong Kong: This four-day jaunt was enough to add Hong Kong to the “would live there,” list of places. I can’t tell you how long that list is but San Francisco is way ahead of the rest. Hong Kong also got a little bit of a boost by being the first place I visited after two months of the cold, gray, crowded cacophony of Shanghai.
Still, blue water, clear skies and rolling green hills will get me any time. I never would have guessed that hiking would fill nearly two full days, but Hong Kong offers gorgeous natural views that rival the famous skyline. Traveling with four UNC MBAs and a fellow Rosser, I managed to have a few adventures. Some of those adventures were fueled by our over-exuberance at Hong Kong duty free. Tired of overpriced Shanghai drinks, three of us each bought a bottle of scotch. Night one found our crew pre-gaming for a pub-crawl and my waking up alone in our Air Bnb apartment. I had our one key while not having either of the local sim cards. Leaving the crowd at 3am and getting a bit lost on the way home, I still arrived first. An hour-long nap on the front stoop wasn’t enough so I went to bed. I woke up in a panic a few hours later to a still-empty apartment and some panic-stricken emails.
We were all reunited a few hours later with smiles, stories and piece-meal memories…

Uh-oh it’s meal time and the massive man next to me is really getting into the beef noodles. I’ll close up shop and be back momentarily…

…In closing my laptop, I allowed my entire meal tray to slide between my armrest and the wall. After a little go-go gadget arm, I got to enjoy listening to my neighbor burp, slurp, snort and cough his way through lunch.

I’ll have to let some pictures sum up the rest of Hong Kong. There was a lot of walking, eating and on-street drinking enjoyed. Sadly, my departure may have been the most eventful part of the Hong Kong travel leg. On two hours sleep, I arrived for an 8am flight. Despite my confirmation code, my flight was not on the books and as it turned out, would not have been honored anyway. In order to fly to the Philippines, one must also have a departure ticket. With my Philippine disappearance act foiled, my hung-over, exhausted self had to navigate budget airline websites on spotty smartphone wifi. Many wasted dollars and hours later, I arrived in Manila in my jeans, fake vans and t-shirt (I didn’t anticipate Manila when packing a suitcase in January Ann Arbor).

Philippines: Roughly $15 got me shorts, sandals, sunglasses and two meals (I snagged a free hostel shower) as I waited for our final companion. Finally, with our four remaining travelers (myself and the three UNC dudes), reunited, it was time to keep moving. Rather than waste time and money on lodging, we hopped on an overnight bus to Banaue and the rice terraces.
We arrived the following morning and after a quick breakfast, our trek began. Sharing a jeepney with six other travelers, we got a few kilometers before delays began. Narrow roads, mud and heavy jeepneys gave us an extra hour to chat and enjoy the scenery before reaching the start of our hike. My quadriceps did not know what I was getting into.
The hike started with 432 stairs downward. We continued downward for another hour or two, meandering through mind-bogglingly beautiful rice terraces to our oasis, frigid water at the base of a 40-meter waterfall. 90-degree heat, equatorial humidity, fake vans and polyester shorts (already torn in the crotch) make a cold swim feel REALLY nice. As I’m sure many of you have realized, a long downhill hike in oppressive heat makes for a much slower return. The ascent was filled with wobbly legs and blank stares as we trudged along. Some fellow travelers sported shower shoes, sweat pants or blue jeans, making my counterfeit outfit seem wise. Needless to say, the final 432 stairs were absolutely torturous. Dehydrated and exhausted, I was greeted by a coconut seller with $1 electrolyte-rich goodness. An hour jeepney ride, a rushed shower and 20 agonizing stairs later and the four of us were back on an overnight bus to Manila. Though the budget traveler in me always prefers to combine travel with lodging, this was pushing it. My seat partner and I were each at least 20% wider than our respective seats and my knees jabbed painfully into the metal seat in front of me. Still, with a shirt tied around my face, I managed to sleep much of the way to Manila.

In Beijing now…

No comments: