Friday, July 17, 2009

Adaptability

I know it's been a long time. I was in America!! I had constant access to internet and very full days but didn't take the time to write a blog entry. I was amazed at how easy it was to readjust.

Lugging 80 lbs of beads around in a broken suitcase made travel a bit difficult but balancing that with the efficient subway system and comfortable weather and Ghanaian travel is still far more strenuous. Getting the beads to the airport was one of the most physically demanding things I've ever done.

There is no way that I'll be able to summarize my time at home. I guess that's accurate with every blog entry. I can never share everything so I just crank out what comes readily to mind.

Megan and I wandered around NYC for a few days and had a great time catching up. Rob used the flexibility and perks of his new internship to fly from Chicago to New York for a 12 hour visit. I paid a visit to Columbia, met up with my friend Jay and had dinner and drinks with a number of Rob's classmates from Michigan. I was able to get a sense of business school life while getting to try all of the foods and drinks that I have missed so desperately. Staying up until what was 7am in my body even helped get my circadian rhythm back where it should be.

A night on Long Island started the family explosion that would be the next week straight. Steak, wine and amazing talks with a family I've missed very much kept the influx of joy going strong. I even got to play guitar hero (I know it came out well before I left for Peace Corps but I'm behind the times).

Dinners and planning and tennis and dinners and stories and beads and Jan Jan's service and stories and a bonfire.

So much happened in Vermont that I can't even begin to summarize. It was amazing meeting new people while catching up with others. I've finally hit the age at which I marvel at how old my baby cousins have become. A nice addition to that sensation is the realization of how amazing all of my cousins are and have become.

Visits to University of Virginia, Duke, UNC, Georgetown, Camden Yards and many great eateries helped sum up a spaztacular road trip with my Dad.

I caught up with my friend Sara and wandered NYC more. I ate the best steak in the history of the world. I left yesterday afternoon and got next to no sleep on the plane. One of my two checked bags was somehow lost during my direct flight (I must proudly say that after arriving with bags of 68 and 44 lbs respectively, I was able to rearrange to 50,0 and 49.5 lbs with a heavy backpack in one try!)

I'll be in Accra until at least tomorrow. I'm exhausted and need to sleep but I'm very ready and happy to be back.

Love to all
Ira

No comments: