Tuesday, April 7, 2009

740 isn't my credit score

I took the GMAT yesterday and I'm tired. I've posted the summary that I put on one of the GMAT prep sites. Enjoy!

My path leading up to GMAT glory is unique. I'm serving in the Peace Corps and have been in Ghana for just over 18 months. I live in a village with no running water or electricity. When I left the US, I didn't know what type of site assignment I would get so I brought a GMAT book (with CD) along since I expected to have a lot of free time.

I took the test yesterday morning in true Ghanaian style. I'm so used to living with electricity that each time I woke up during the night prior to the test, I saw light coming through the window and was ready to run out the door in panic. This happened at 2:30am, 3:30am, 5:30am and then finally at 6am. My test was at 9:30am and I wanted to splurge and eat a nice breakfast with coffee. Here's a good GMAT question for you: if a Peace Corps Volunteer earns 6.6 Ghana Cedis per day and spends 5 Cedis on breakfast and 2 Cedis on a Red Bull (HUGE treat), how much of his daily pay has been spent by 8am?

I tried not to think of my budget, thinking that a few extra Cedis today can honestly equate to tens of thousands of dollars at admission time. Anyway, I thought it would be nice to walk to the testing center. I went to check it out a few days prior so I knew I had time. I walked through traffic, past goats, and over open sewers as I let my blood get pumping.

I got to the test center at 8:10am with a sweat soaked shirt and waited in the air conditioning (another treat). I started the test a little after 9am and was feeling good. Leading up to the test, I got really tired while trying to take practice tests. Maybe a bit of brain drain, I'm not sure. On test day, adrenaline and caffeine combined made me feel up the the 4 hour challenge ahead. I worked through the essays with no real problem. My 10 minute break allowed time to use the bathroom (no running water) and stretch.

The quant section had me a bit nervous. I consider myself to be good at math but have a Psychology degree, no realy quant background. I didn't break a 42 raw score in practice. I was so nervous that it took me 25 questions to realize that I could move the keyboard and use the table for taking notes. By this time, I had ink smeared on both hands and on the legs of my trousers. Oops! During the real deal, I was convinced that I missed 2 of the first 5 questions. Big bummer! With 250 dollars invested, I had to go for it. The rest of the quant section was difficult, some questions I hadn't seen on any practice test. I took my time, made educated guesses when necessary and finished the last question as time ran out. I hoped to pull a 42.

Verbal went well. I hadn't taken a practice verbal section in about a month. Either my program wouldn't work or I'd visit a friend who had electricity and the lights would go out. I was nervous leading up to the test but again, took my time, finished with 5 minutes to spare I knew I did well. Maybe a 690 to match my best practice score?

My nerves really kicked in after the last question. I'm used to having my score pop up immediately following verbal question 41 but this time I had to wait a few minutes. When the score 740 popped up, I was ecstatic!! 48 (84%) quant and 44 (97%) verbal for 97% overall.

Unorthodox prep method.

Books-
Peterson's GMAT with CD
Barron's GMAT with CD (CD CATs give % not actual score)
GMAT 800 2005 (a previous volunteer left it behind)
Kaplan 2009 (broke the bank to get it sent)

Scores-
Peterson's CAT- 680 (60, 37) somehow the algorithm gave me a 60 in quant despite missing 7 questions. This gave me a false sense of security but got me to buckle down on verbal
Peterson's CAT- 650
MGMAT- 650 (40, 41)
Veritas- 610 (42,37)
GMAT Prep- 690 (41, 42)

The above scores were not great for predicting my actual test score. I can only get access to electricity and internet when at a main office or at an internet cafe. My 610 was thanks to 10 straight verbal questions missed when a bunch of volunteers entered the computer lounge.

My second GMAT Prep test wouldn't work due to a virus I picked up on my laptop. I only used the Kaplan CAT math sections and never broke 40 on the raw score.

To have my first 700+ score come on actual test day was beautiful. I hope you've enjoyed the rant. The next text is to apply from Ghana! Wish me luck!

Good luck all!!

No comments: