Monday, February 2, 2009

Seasonal Calendar







One thing that Peace Corps Ghana insists upon as an integration tool is the Seasonal Calendar. During training, we were told on what seemed to be a daily basis that composing a seasonal calendar would be a fool proof integration tool once we were living at our respective sites. I composed a calendar last December and got a good idea of when to expect the rain, when to clear land for the next planting season. I learned when to nurse seedlings, when to expect people to be at farm harvesting. I learned when the village would be short on money and when people would be away during the funeral season.

While I was able to write down what would happen during each season, I had no idea what to really expect. As I go through these seasons for a second time, I have a new perspective on everything.

We're in the middle of the harmattan season right now. Dust is blowing south from the Sahara and the beautiful, lush, green landscape is now dead and brown. The air (and our lungs) are full of dust. A few people are at farm clearing new portions of land for the next planting season but many are sitting around the house, trying to save money for herbicide, seeds or other necessary goods for preparing a plot of land. Sometimes, it looks as though the sun is setting in the North rather than the West. Bush fires are so big that they give the illusion of a never ending sunset. It rains ash and the scene is accompanied by a symphony of gunshots as people shoot at any bush animal seen fleeing the fire. Last year, I was worried that the fire would engulf my house and that the gunshots were from some militant uprising that I hadn't heard about. Now, I take it all in stride.

In a few short months, we will enter the season during which it's hard to carry on a conversation or even hear your own thoughts because the rain is pelting the tin roof with such voracity. I used to laugh at how people would run for cover and refuse to do anything when it started to drizzle. After a year of seeing how fast a drizzle can turn into a torrential downpour, I do the same thing.

Once the rain starts, it continues with little let-up through October. What's hard to believe is that the rain is only about a month away and when it's starting to let up, I'll be preparing to leave this beautiful country.

A few new programs are taking shape in Bormase. The food storage facility idea has lost steam after community members failed to initiate any further work. Patrick has started working with me on a proposal for a permanent structure for bead makers. As it is now, structures are in constant disrepair and productivity depends greatly on weather and other factors. Patrick hopes to put up a solid structure under which students can be trained in the art of Krobo bead making, work can be completed with fewer environmental disturbances and work can be professionally displayed for any future visitors. The proposal is underway and I'll keep you all updated on the progress.

The Moringa farm is going strong. There aren't many fresh leaves because of the harmattan season but come March, it will be a sight to behold. I also plan to clear another small portion of land and dedicate that portion to Moringa trees that will be for seed production rather than leaf production. As it is now, all of the trees are trimmed for the purpose of harvesting leaves. Since they're trimmed, the will not produce seeds. This new portion will help support the growing interest in Moringa and will help make the project more sustainable.

Local farmers have been meeting and discussing the idea of saving money for later in life. I have mentioned in the past that farmers struggle once they reach an age at which farming becomes too physically taxing. The idea is to establish a communal savings plan so that farmers can have a little nest egg when it's needed. This group has expanded and is currently working on saving a small amount of funds for agro-chemicals. When I first arrived, I frowned on the idea of using chemicals and fire for clearing land. An area near my Moringa plot was burned less than a year ago and already has 3-4 feet of growth throughout. When working with a cutlass, it really doesn't make much sense to everything by hand. I have to pick my battles.

There are a few other plans in the works but I'll wait to see how those pan out.

Love to all
Ira
The pictures are unrelated but very cute!

No comments: