Monday, February 11, 2008

Busy week

This will be a quick one I think.

Ghana lost a heartbreaker to Cameroon 1-0. Ivory Coast was trounced by Egypt 4-1 so the final pairing of Ghana and Ivory Coast that everyone was hoping for ended up meeting for the consolation game where Ghana scored early, fell behind 2-1 and then put 3 quick goals in the back of the net over the last 20 minutes of the match. 3rd place was the best result since 1992 and the final goal was the 100th goal scored by Ghana in African Cup of Nations play.

I went to the final between Cameroon and Egypt last night. I hoped that the fact that Ghana was no longer playing would make tickets easier to come by. The day couldn't have gone much more smoothly. Lauren and I got tickets for just over face value, walked to the stadium, sat right behind the goal and got a nice dinner of American food. I ate the San Francisco sandwich. I think it was chicken, cheese and pickles. I am not sure why it's the San Francisco but it was GOOD!! Thanks again Lauren!!

Today, I dropped by the Ghana AIDS Commission for an impromptu meeting. I'm working on a proposal to bring Grassroot Soccer to Ghana. Check out the program if you haven't heard about it. Grassroot Soccer is well established in Zambia and South Africa but hasn't made it to West Africa yet. I dressed in my most professional duds (polo, slacks and flip flops) and showed up having sweat through the front of my gray polo Peace Corps polo. Talk about making a good first impression. It was a very informal meeting. I basically wanted to introduce myself so when I have a proposal to submit, they know who I am. I've been working on my first PC proposal most of the day today and will present it on Wednesday.

Tomorrow I am going to a presentation in Accra. An American NGO is presenting a hand grinder for dry Moringa leaf processing. I don't know much more but it should be a good way to meet more people who are focused on Moringa. If time permits, I'll meet the heads of Heifer International Ghana with Emmanuel.

My APCD is visiting my site on Thursday so I'll get an idea of how I'm doing as a PCV. I have seen him a few times in Accra but it will be nice to be able to show hime what's going on.

My first environment club meeting is this coming Friday. I have nothing planned but will finally get to sit down with the kids and see what they want to learn. If they give me a hard time, I'll have to get in their pick up soccer matches. Nothing like schooling 12 year olds to show 'em who's boss!!

Saturday I have a meeting with a youth group in Sekesua. I again have no idea what it will entail but it will end my busy week!!

Love to all!!

No comments: