Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Unplanned day number 2

While eating my Sunday morning breakfast, Emmanuel suggested that I attend church with Dorothy. Rather than going church a few hundred yards from the house, we would go to one in a neighboring town. I got ready in a hurry and on my way out the door I learned a valuable lesson. "When you live in a mud house, don't slam doors!" My door wasn't closing so I added a little umph and took down a huge chunk of my wall in the process. Nobody in the family paid any notice so the day continued.

Dorothy and I took a short cab ride to Sekesua and walked the remaining half mile to church. We joined the other two people in the church and sat for a while as others trickled in. I sat through 2 hours of mass (naturally didn't understand much) and at the end I was brought up the the front of the church so Dorothy could introduce me further. I didn't understand the introduction so I stood in front of 50 or so strangers as looked and laughed as jokes were told.

Somewhat worn out by the long mass, I was ready to head home and do some laundry or other work around the house. Instead, I learned that we would be walking 5 miles in the middle of the afternoon to a funeral. I walked with the Christian Mothers group for almost an hour and a half!! I felt like such a wuss. I was tired of walking and the women around me were all 50-70+ years old. To top it off, we were going to the funeral of a woman who made this walk every Wednesday with her market goods and every Sunday in order to attend church.

Long story short, we walked an hour plus in each direction in order to sit at the funeral for an hour in total. I was beat. I'm kinda beat now too. I'll add pictures soon.

No comments: